Saturday, August 27, 2011

Product Placement in Mass Media

I have recently started watching the Big Bang Theory and it struck me that every other scene has a real product, but I have never thought about shameless advertisers sticking random products into this show because the advertisements plug in perfectly with the show because it adds a sense of realism. I mean when they say in one episode " Now I have to make a stop at Walgreens to buy more eyeliner" I felt like I knew where they were going cause I live next to a Walgreens and I can picture where the characters are going and what they are doing. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this but let me know what you think in the comments section whether or not you agree with me.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah man, it isn't only happening on BBT, you can see it on Mad Men, BrBa, etc.
    Have yo useen the Fight Club?, this reminds me of the scene when they're talking about galaxies being named after companies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only thing I remember about fight club is you're not allowed to talk about fight club lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm.. not too sure how I feel. It may be to just add a bit of realism, rather than creating a store name no one's heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just another source of income for the show. Times are hard and they are learning to monitize in other areas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, on the other hand, cops WILL drink at starbucks, folks WILL shop at walmarts, people WILL eat at McDonalds and thus sign their death sentence...I mean its what happens in life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're doing it in video games too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like big bang theory, is all that i can say

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean. Those sly producers.

    ReplyDelete